Tuesday 31 May 2011

DUCK-FACED WOMAN

Midnight details

The other print, Duck-Faced Woman, as I've been calling her for the past few months, spat out a few more hiccups. I'm not entirely sure I got the colour scheme right, or the order in which they were printed for that matter. A darker orange going on first, followed by an even darker blue may have been the way to go.
Also, because of the large area of ink/small suction surface area (for the vacuum table) the prints would continuously stick to the screen forcing me to pull again in an attempt to achieve adequate spring back, separating the screen from the ink wet paper. In doing this my rhythm went a bit of and I pulled a print with out first flooding. The resulting print (seen below left) has a certain weathered charm which I'll be keeping in mind for some intentional misprint fun on future works.

Midnight errors

Later in the run I absentmindedly placed my paper landscape when it should've been portrait. Immediately something looked wrong with the pull but assuming wrongly it was ink stickiness I tried a few spring back pulls. It wasn't until Jono pulled me off the print and lifted the screen that I realise my mistake. Still, I went ahead and printed the second colour over this as normal which gave an interesting insight into how the weight of colour and texture could alternatively have been split. An insight I hope to channel soon.

Midnight misprint

3 comments:

  1. Quite liking the order you put the colour on, always good to do things a bit differently to standards, produces more interesting results I think.

    Thought about suction: we may need to clean the hoover?

    ...Also I wish I had filmed the landscape/portrait mishap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we should probably clean the hoover ... and maybe poke the blue paint out of the holes in the table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure there's worse down the holes in that table!

    ReplyDelete